Finding the Rabbit
Sunday, September 24, 2006
 
I’M COMING HOME
Last week, I passed my one-year mark in Taiwan. And it looks like it’s going to be an even seventeen months: my plan is to leave in February, just after Chinese New Year. As much as I have enjoyed teaching and being here, it’s coming on time to get home again. My life has begun moving in another direction, and that’s away from teaching children. I’ve been doing that for most of thirteen years, and it will be drawing to a close within the next six months. It was interesting, being in training and meeting the other foreigners who’d just arrived like I had, and talking to them about what got them here and what they think of teaching. Most of them came because they thought it’d be a cool experience or a good way to experience another culture. In other words, a beginning, or a hiatus from something else. I was the only one who came here to finish something. Teaching English overseas has been like a combination final exam and graduation trip in my career: hard work, and great fun, too. It is its own reward. Because of that, I knew I’d be staying less time here than everyone else, but long enough to accomplish what I needed to do. And I have. In the next few months, I’ll have some final strings to tie off, and then I’ll get to experience the new FAA regulations along with everyone else. Hooray. But first…
 




<< Home
There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign. - Robert Louis Stevenson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Keelung, United States
ARCHIVES
November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 /


  • Dual Citizenship
  • Lovelesscynic
  • Strange Laowai
  • Taione
  • Powered by Blogger